June 13, 2025, 3:04 pm | Read time: 3 minutes
Although the game is now ten years old, a new “The Witcher 3” expansion is reportedly still in the works.
It was only the third installment of the series that was released. But when “The Witcher 3 – Wild Hunt” hit the market, the franchise around the titular witcher reached entirely new dimensions. Today, the role-playing game is considered one of the best and most successful ever, significantly contributing to the ongoing popularity of the saga, which also includes Netflix series and films. And although a highly anticipated sequel is in the works, fans might still get a new “The Witcher 3” expansion even now.
Third “The Witcher 3” Expansion Planned by Remake Developers
In 2015 and 2016, “Hearts of Stone” and “Blood and Wine” expansions were released for the game from CD Projekt Red. To this day, they are considered some of the best expansions ever, but it seemed that was the end. However, witcher Geralt is apparently not to be killed off. In an episode of the Polish podcast Rock and Boris, it is said that a third “The Witcher 3” expansion is in the works. They rely on several supposedly independent sources that have confirmed this.
CD Projekt Does Not Want to Repeat Mistakes! All the Info on “The Witcher 4”
First “The Witcher 4” Trailer Answers One of the Most Important Questions
Fools Theory to Develop Expansion
The original developer studio CD Projekt Red is reportedly no longer responsible for it. Instead, the team at Fools Theory is said to be working on it. This studio has existed only since 2015 and was founded by Jakub Rokosz, a former CD Projekt employee and “The Witcher” veteran.
Design director Karolina Kuzia-Rokosz was also previously employed there. The team is well-versed with “The Witcher” and is simultaneously working on a remake of the first installment.
Release in 2026?
Nothing is known about the content and scope of the potential “The Witcher 3” expansion. However, it is speculated that it will serve as a bridge to the upcoming fourth installment, which could entice players to purchase the sequel. And since both CD Projekt Red and Fools Theory are busy with other projects, it might be less extensive.
Also of interest: The 5 Best Open-World Games for Extensive Exploration
There is also no information on whether the new content will be free or paid. At least one source suggests that a release would be possible no earlier than 2026. But even that is not confirmed. “Gamepressure” has inquired with CD Projekt Red, but the studio does not wish to comment.
Meanwhile, insiders claim that the release plan is to first launch the “The Witcher 3” expansion, followed by “The Witcher 4,” and finally the remake of “The Witcher 1.”